Friday, May 1, 2009

life

Reese had been throwing up for three days (but only in the morning) and yesterday started screaming and not sleeping. When she started to throw up I thought, "oh great I hope that's not another ear infection." Anyway, she was feeling hot and so was Boston so I stopped thinking about her ears and figured they both had the flu... then swine flu hits (in Ohio, mind you) and my kids have all the symptoms. Hmmm.... I decide to wait until Thursday and if they aren't better I'll take them in. So then Boston told me Wednesday morning that he wanted cheese and so I said okay just so that he'd stop repeating himself (I think he asked me 10 times in a row). Next thing I know, he's in my bed with the big bag of shredded cheese. There was a trail of shredded cheese, in true Hansel and Gretel fashion, from the fridge, up the stairs, and at the foot of my bed. Crazy child... He told me he wanted some juice and I said that he could only drink it downstairs since he's been spilling it on our brand new carpet. I'm sick of cleaning up stupid little drip spots of crystal light. Then he tells me he wants to play Candyland, so we bring that upstairs and play. He jumps up and tells me that he needs medicine because his tummy hurts (which he had been saying for a couple days -- I had been giving him cough medicine so he could sleep through the night, but it wasn't working and that's a whole other story). I pour him a tiny bit and he starts to spit it out, so instinctively I catch it in my hand... sick. Next thing I know, he's exorcism barfing shredded cheese and crystal light all over my hand, lap, carpet, oh and Candyland too. Talk about a bad stain. Reese wakes up and I give her a bottle while I'm cleaning Boston up -- which she throws all of it up on herself and her swing and everywhere... ugh... so I went to Walmart -- all of us in pajamas, to which Boston says, "I don't want to go to the store in my pajamas mommy!!" Apparently I've already started to embarrass him -- and buy a carpet cleaner. I figure it'll be a good investment since, sadly, this won't be the last throw up adventure in my life. While we're driving home I think, "At what point do kids realize the feeling 'I'm gonna throw up' and then run to the toilet? Because that's gonna be great." And then I remember that I didn't master that until I was in high school -- sad, I know. SOOOO that's gonna really suck and then I'm all depressed thinking about all the throw up incidents that I made MY parents clean up. Awful. I'm sorry mom :( Boston then refuses to take a nap (which it has been 6 days running that he's refused) because he says the noise of a vacuum "is very scary." Secret is now out as to how frequently I vacuum... Now it's Friday. Both kids still feel warm but I can tell they are recovering from the flu. As much as sometimes I feel like leaving the country because of my kids, I can't go because of the kids... so I don't know how they would have gotten swine flu anyway. But, like I said earlier, Reese stopped napping/sleeping on Wednesday night and so here we are today. I took her to the doctor and she has a double ear infection... again. She's on augmentin for the time being, although it didn't work last time, because the doctor didn't want to give her rocephin shots again. If she's not better by Monday or Tuesday, she'll start getting the shots and then get a referral to an ENT. She's had an ear infection every other month since February. I'm thinking tubes are her near future. The doctor did say though that Boston's gross cough is probably not whooping cough since he got that last year, although I should keep an eye on it (how do I keep an eye on a cough?) So I think it goes without saying that I haven't been able to go to the gym at all this week. I have successfully finished off every single yummy treat in this house, cursing the Easter Bunny for getting the treats in the first place. I have also gone through several medicine bottles and am starting to get Boston's cough. So that's been my week. Super event filled -- although most of those events have been unwelcome. This weekend I am toasting to a new week, wiping the slate clean, and trying this 'life' thing over again. So here's to all you mothers out there that need to toast to a better week too!!

What goobers these two are...

6 comments:

Amy Jane said...

Oh Ashley, I'm so sorry! I think that we need to plan a night out soon and let the boys stay home with the kiddos!!

Troy and Brittany said...

If it makes you feel any better, I was sick this week, too. And I've been paranoid all week it was swine flu (it wasn't) because they don't give you anything when you're pregnant. That would've been an interesting experience...

Unknown said...

oh man. that IS an awful week. owen just today woke up slightly better, so I think this new antibiotic is slowly working. we are taking him to an ENT anyways on tuesday... i'm not waiting for any stupid referral. I figure an ENT will have a better course of action and advice than his pediatrician. hopefully that carpet cleaner works for you! for a spotter, i swear by Chem Dry spot remover (only $5 at Home Depot). It takes out pretty much anything, and you can use it on clothes too.

Chelsey said...

oh your poor kids and you for having to clean up all that gross stuff!! Love you!

Linds and Thad said...

Sorry about your week, although I got a good laugh out of it. I read it to my husband, too. Actually, you holding out your hand to catch Boston's throw up reminded me of my friend, whose daughter gets car sick so frequently that she has trained her daughter to throw up neatly in a cup that they keep in the back seat. Once they didn't have a cup, and my friend caught her daughter's throw up in her hand. Nice.

Sarah H said...

I hope you guys are all better now! that doesn't sound like a fun week. Barf and motherhood just can't be separated. You're a good story teller!